- 2 duck legs
- 100g of salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Sprig of Thyme
- 30ml of duck fat
- 300g spinach leaves
- Black pepper
- 30ml olive oil
1 day before serving:
- To cure the duck: add crumbled bay leaf and thyme to salt. Place the duck legs in a deep dish. Rub salt mixture on them vigorously. Leave it to cure, uncovered, in the refrigerator for 10 - 12 hours.
12 hours 30 minutes before serving:
- Fill your sous vide water bath with water and preheat to 70ºC (158ºF) with 12 hours 30 minutes cooking time.
- Thoroughly rinse off all the salt from the duck legs with water. Once target temperature is reached, seal each duck leg in a bag with 1 tbsp of duck fat. Submerge bag in water bath.
10 minutes before serving:
- When the duck is ready, reserve the liquid in the pouch. Pat dry the duck with kitchen towels. Heat a heavy-based skillet without oil. Sear the duck legs skin-side down on medium heat until golden (3 - 5 minutes). Turn the duck legs over and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat, set aside.
- Bring the reserved liquid to a boil until slightly reduced for the jus, set aside.
- In a separate pan, heat olive oil on high heat. Add spinach leaves to cook briefly until just wilted. Lightly season with black pepper.
- Place duck legs on top of a bed of spinach, with a drizzling of jus.