Short Ribs Tagliata
Cheap-but-traditionally-hard short ribs made meltingly tender for a hearty salad.
Prep Time 15 Minutes
Cook Time 48 Hours
Pre-searing not only helps kill off the surface bacteria on the meat, but also jumpstarts the amazing flavor creation that develops over the long cooking time.
Feel free to substitute Parmesan with your preferred shaved cheese.
- 600g boneless beef short ribs, thick cut
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 45ml extra virgin olive oil
- 6g dried, crushed chilli flakes
- 8g dried rosemary
- 15ml cider vinegar
- 2g tsp salt
- 5ml lemon or lime juice
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 80g wild rocket leaves
- 50g Parmesan
48 hours before serving:
- Preheat your sous vide water bath to 56°C(133°F).
- Add the olive oil to a pan over a high heat before searing the beef short ribs for 20 seconds on each side. Once your sous vide water bath has reached its target temperature, place the beef short ribs into a vacuum pouch and seal. Place the pouch into your sous vide water bath to cook for 48 hours.
30 minutes before serving:
- In a bowl, combine the extra virgin olive oil, dried chilli flakes, dried rosemary, cider vinegar, salt and lemon juice to make the dressing.
- Once cooked, remove the beef short ribs from the vacuum pouch, patting dry with a kitchen towel before generously seasoning. Heat the olive oil in a large pan before searing the beef short ribs for about 20 seconds on each side.
- Place the beef short ribs into the dressing and leave for one minute to steep. Turn the beef short ribs over and repeat.
- To create the garnish, combine the cherry tomatoes with the dressing before adding the wild rocket leaves. Mix the contents together before seasoning.
- Place the salad garnish onto the centre of the plate, before topping with the beef short ribs and parmesan shavings.