Sesame-Crusted Tuna Teriyaki with Cucumber & Carrot Relish
Healthy and delicious, this is tuna like you’ve never had it – as moist and soft as sushi.
Prep Time 20 Minutes
Cook Time 15 Minutes
Tuna’s great on the rarer side, so 47°C (117°F) is about as high as I’d go to enjoy it in its full glory.
Cutting the cooked tuna requires some practice as it’s fragile. Use a sharp knife and cut against the grain in one smooth motion.
- 2 tuna steaks
- 1 cucumber
- 1 carrot
- 10g of sugar
- 5g of salt
- 50ml light soy sauce
- 50ml mirin
- 14g of sugar
- 90g white sesame seeds
- 60g black sesame seeds
- 30ml sunflower oil
30 minutes before serving:
- Preheat your water bath to 43°C (109°F) with 15 minutes cooking time. Once target temperature is reached, seal the tuna in a bag and submerge it in the water bath.
- Peel long, wide strips of cucumber and carrots with a peeler. Place them in a bowl and toss with sugar and salt. Refrigerate until use.
10 minutes before serving:
- Make the teriyaki sauce: bring soy sauce, mirin and sugar mixture to boil. Reduce heat to medium, simmer for 2 minutes until reduced. Remove from heat, set aside.
- Once the tuna is ready, carefully remove it from bag and pat dry with kitchen towels. Mix both the sesame seeds on a separate plate. Coat the tuna with sesame seeds on all sides.
- Heat up a pan with some oil on medium heat, gently toast the sesame-crusted tuna for 30 seconds a side until aromatic. Set aside.
- Slice the tuna against the grain into bite-size portions. Brush some teriyaki sauce in the middle of the plate at an angle. Arrange the tuna slices perpendicular to the sauce.
- Mould the carrot and cucumber relish into a tall tower with your hand and place it behind the tuna slices. Serve immediately with extra sauce on the side.