Rump Steak with Baby Leaf & Cherry Tomato Salad
Always wanted to do steak well, consistently? You can now. Easily.
Prep Time 10 Minutes
Cook Time 1 Hour
Make sure your pan is heated with some butter until really hot and that the steak are salted right before a quick sear – you want a nice brown crust formed without overcooking your already perfect medium rare centre.
- 500g rump steak, 1 inch thick
- 30g butter
- 10g butter
- 10g plain flour
- 300ml beef stock
- 30ml olive oil
- 10ml cider vinegar
- 5ml of honey
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 80g mixed baby leaves
- 30g of cherry tomatoes
1 hour 15 minutes before serving:
- Preheat your sous vide water bath to 53°C (127.5°F).
- Once target temperature is reached, place the rump steak into a vacuum pouch along and seal. Place the pouch into your sous vide water bath to cook for 1 hour.
15 minutes before serving:
- Once cooked, remove the rump from the vacuum pouch, patting them dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the 30g of butter in a large pan before searing the rump steaks for about 20 seconds on each side. Once browned, remove from the heat and set aside.
- For the gravy, melt the butter in a pan before adding the flour and mixing thoroughly. Add the beef slowly, stirring continuously until smooth. Season before straining and setting aside.
- For the vinaigrette, combine olive oil, cider vinegar, honey, salt and black pepper in a bowl, whisking thoroughly until an emulsion is formed.
- Place the mixed baby leaves and cherry tomatoes in a large bowl. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the mixed baby leaves to coat them ready for serving.
Serve the steak alongside the dressed salad, drizzling over the gravy to complete the dish.