Chicken & Pea Risotto
After tasting sous-vide chicken breast, you’ll never go back to regular again.
Prep Time 25 Minutes
Cook Time 1 Hour
The key to a great risotto is that it shouldn’t be rushed: go for medium heat and a gradual addition of stock, waiting for each addition to be absorbed into the rice before adding the next. This encourages release of starch which makes the risotto creamier.
- 2 boneless, chicken breast (skin-on)
- 15ml olive oil
- 1 onion
- 400g arborio rice
- 2 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- 50ml white wine
- Salt & black pepper
- 200g frozen peas
- 50ml cream (optional)
- 30ml oil
- 60g parmesan
1 hour 15 minutes before serving:
- Fill your sous vide water bath with water and preheat to 62°C (144°F) with 1 hour cooking time. Once target temperature is reached, seal the chicken breasts in a bag and submerge in water bath.
35 minutes before serving:
- Heat olive oil in a pan on medium heat. Add diced onions (and bacon bits if included) and fry until soft. Add the rice stirring well for 2 minutes, before adding white wine and half of the stock.
- Simmer the mixture until reduced, adding in more stock each time the rice comes close to fully absorbing the liquid. Continue for 20 – 30 minutes whilst stirring until the rice is cooled al dente.
- Season with salt and black pepper. Stir in the peas and cream. Remove from heat once peas are cooked (around 2 min) and set aside.
- Once the chicken is ready, pat them dry with kitchen towels. Season with salt and pepper. Heat up oil in a heavy-based skillet, sear the chicken breasts skin side down on high heat for 30 seconds until crisp. Remove chicken from heat, slice them into portions.
- Spoon risotto onto serving bowl and top it with chicken slices. Sprinkle with Parmesan prior to serving.