Braised Lamb Shank
by chef Damian Wawrzyniak
Prep Time 30 Minutes
Cook Time 7 Hours
Chef Damian Wawrzyniak is the founder of the Fine Art of Dining, a TV presenter and a Master Craftsman at the Craft Guild of Chefs UK. Chef Damian is currently Chef Director for the new Culinary Academy which will open in the City of London in 2015 and could previously be found in the kitchens of two Michelin Star restaurants and the ‘World’s Best Restaurant’, Noma in Copenhagen.
- 2 lamb shanks
- 400g of chicken stock
- 40g shallot
- 20g carrot
- 20g celery
- 3cm Rosemary
- 2 dry bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 80g of currants
- Rosemary salt
- Black pepper
- 60ml of pure organic honey
- 40g of unsalted butter
- 400ml of full bodied red wine
- Fill your sous vide water bath with water and preheat to 78ºC (172ºF).
- Finely chop your shallots and celery, peel and cut your carrots into cubes then sweat the shallots along with the carrots and Celery.
- Add wine, bay leaves, Rosemary and garlic – reduce to the third, skim occasionally.
- Add tomato puree, and pour chicken stock, reduce on low heat to the third, skim occasionally.
- Strain your stock using Maslin cloth, season to taste using Rosemary salt and black pepper.
- Place lamb shank in the vacuum pouch, cover with reduced stock, seal and place into sous vide water bath for 6 hours.
- Take out of the pouch, gently and heat your oven to 180°C (356°F).
- Mix butter and honey in to consistence paste.
- Place lamb shanks on to the tray, glaze with butter and honey paste using brush with 40ml of jus, currants and raspberries on the bottom of your baking tray.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Heat your jus, serve with peeled boiled new potatoes and chopped chive.